Arye, Lustig & Sassower, P.C., New York's Premier Construction Accident And Personal Injury Lawyers
Arye, Lustig & Sassower, P.C., New York's Premier Construction Accident And Personal Injury Lawyers

No Recovery = No Fee

Free Consultations

Fighting For Injured People,

Attorney Advertising

  1. You are here
  2. Car Accidents
  3. Recovering Compensation as a Pedestrian in New York City

Recovering Compensation as a Pedestrian in New York City

Every year, roughly 15,000 pedestrians get injured by motor vehicles in New York City. Another 3,000 die. Knowing the nuts and bolts of who pays for accidents is essential if you are a pedestrian, especially in our no-fault state. 

Much will depend on whether you meet the serious injury threshold for your accident or injury, which will determine whether you can sue and who pays for the accident. 

Pedestrians Who Don’t Meet the Serious Injury Threshold

Even if a motor vehicle strikes a pedestrian, the pedestrian must meet New York’s serious injury threshold to sue. To meet this threshold, you must suffer one of the following:

  • Suffering more than $50,000 in economic losses
  • Death
  • Dismemberment
  • Significant disfigurement
  • Fractures
  • Loss of a fetus
  • Permanent loss of a body organ, member, function, or system
  • Suffering permanent consequential limitation of a body organ, member, or system
  • Suffering an injury that leaves you impaired for 90 out of the 180 consecutive days immediately following an accident

New York’s no-fault laws kick in if you do not meet the threshold. The entity that pays will depend entirely on whether you have car insurance. 

Pedestrians Who Own Cars

If you own a car, it should be insured. You’re legally required to carry car insurance if you own a car.

Assuming you comply with the law, you can claim with your insurance company. They will pay up to $50,000 in medical bills and lost wages via your Personal Injury Protection (PIP) policy. 

Pedestrians Who Don’t Own Cars

Many pedestrians don’t own cars or insurance policies. If that’s true for you, you can make your claim with the Motor Vehicle Accident Indemnity Corporation (MVAIC)

To claim with MVAIC, you must report the accident to the police within 24 hours or as soon as reasonably possible. Of course, we recommend calling the police to the scene when you are hit.

You must also report the accident, fill out the proper forms, and send proof of New York residency to MVAIC within 90 days of the accident.

Once you need to involve MVAIC, it is usually a good idea to involve an injury lawyer as well. MVAIC can be a bureaucratic nightmare; they’re looking for reasons to reject your claim. 

Pedestrians After Meeting the Serious Injury Threshold

If you meet the serious injury threshold, you can launch a lawsuit and should call a lawyer immediately. We can help you navigate the entire personal injury process and can help ensure that you’re compensated fully.

If a hit-and-run driver struck, you would still have to claim from MVAIC. Hiring a lawyer right away can help you meet the applicable deadlines and maximize your chances of receiving compensation. 

Personal Injury Law is Complex

If you or a loved one have been injured, getting help from a qualified personal injury attorney is vital. The process of recovering compensation can be challenging to navigate. 

Schedule a free consultation with our office today to get the help you need to make the most of your injury case.

See also:

What is a Serious Injury in New York? 

Helping a Loved One Recover from a Severe Accident

Soft-Tissue Injuries Should Not Be Ignored

FindLaw Network

Representing IBEW Local #3 Members For More
Than 40 Years find out more

No Recovery = No Fee
Free Initial Consultations

Call Today:

Or Tell Us About Your Case Here And We’ll Get Back To You Promptly:

Email Us For A Response