Misdiagnosis And Medical Malpractice: Do You Have A Case?
The stakes are high when human life is at risk. A physician has an obligation to do what is reasonably necessary to make an accurate diagnosis, even if an insurance company or hospital administrator is making it difficult.
When a physician negligently fails to properly diagnose a medical condition, it may be a case of medical malpractice. Since 1965, the medical malpractice attorneys at Arye, Lustig & Sassower, P.C., in New York City have been assisting patients whose doctors committed malpractice.
Are you a victim of medical malpractice? Find out for sure. Call us at: 212-732-4992 or 800-574-4LAW for your free consultation.
What Medical Malpractice Is — And What We Do About It
Medical malpractice is the failure to provide proper medical care, and can be a misdiagnosis of or failure to diagnose a condition. This failure to provide proper treatment may deprive a patient of a meaningful opportunity for a better outcome, and may subject a patient to unnecessary surgery or invasive medical treatment.
Our firm works with medical experts to understand what medical tests and procedures would have been reasonable and standard given the condition of the patient and their symptoms.
- Were reasonable lab tests, MRIs, CT scans or other medical diagnostic procedures ordered?
- Were the results of these tests read accurately and in a timely manner?
- Were the results presented to the patient?
- Did the doctor consult a specialist or other medical professionals when faced with unexplained findings?
- Was the patient referred to a specialist if needed? Was he or she referred to the right kind of specialist?
At the personal injury law office of Arye, Lustig & Sassower, P.C., in New York City, our attorneys can successfully litigate medical malpractice cases involving the misdiagnosis of or failure to diagnose illnesses such as cancer, heart attacks and strokes. Visit our verdicts and settlements page to see a few examples of our results.
Working With Medical Experts
Working with medical experts who understand both the medical facts and the systems doctors work within, we are able to handle medical malpractice cases involving:
- Failure to diagnose cancer, such as breast cancer, colon cancer, prostate cancer
- An emergency room’s or clinic’s failure to diagnose and failure to promptly treat a patient for heart attack or stroke
- Failure to identify or misdiagnosis of a mental illness or condition, such as risk of suicide
Sample Case Result — Failure To Diagnose Cancer
$3 million settlement in a medical malpractice case for a 48-year-old man who suffered the spread of prostate cancer due to a failure to diagnose the cancer. Our client had a blood test that showed moderately elevated PSA levels, an early sign of prostate cancer. His physician failed to inform him of this, and did nothing for 1-1/2 years, until the PSA levels had doubled and the prostate cancer had spread. This delay in treatment reduced our client’s chance for a favorable outcome and he had to undergo a radical prostatectomy, radiation and chemotherapy.
Contact Our Firm | We Understand Medical Malpractice
If a misdiagnosis or a delay in diagnosis allowed your medical condition to worsen, or if your loved one died because of a delayed or wrong diagnosis, talk to a lawyer at Arye, Lustig & Sassower, P.C., about an injury or wrongful death claim. Call our Manhattan offices locally at 212-732-4992 or call us toll free at 800-574-4LAW to schedule a free consultation. We handle all injury cases on a no-recovery, no-fee basis.