Every driver should know that work zones have the potential to be dangerous. They should understand that they must often slow down, give workers space and steer clear of any restricted areas. However, too often, drivers fail to take these precautions and wind up endangering road workers’ safety.
If you or your family member works in road construction in New York, you are likely aware of the myriad risks that come with that job. However, do you know who may be liable?
Potential parties liable for work zone crashes
Many parties can be liable for the damages workers experience when they are struck or otherwise injured while working on a site.
- Drivers are often involved in work zone accidents when they violate laws or construction rules.
- Employers and contractors can be responsible if they fail to provide workers with adequate protection and equipment to stay safe o the job.
- Cities or municipalities could be liable if a defective road or inadequate signage caused an accident.
- Other workers and individuals can be to blame if they engaged in negligent, reckless behavior.
Conditions that can contribute to a crash
Road construction sites are often quite busy, between the massive equipment used by workers to the shifts in traffic routes and volumes moving mere feet away from an active site.
Workers can reduce their risk of an accident by paying attention, utilizing proper safety gear and following accepted protocols on site. But even when workers do everything they are supposed to do to stay safe, they can still get injured when others on a job site fail to take those same precautions.
For example, people can cause accidents due to:
- Drug or alcohol impairment
- Distraction behind the wheel
- Poor visibility (many routine maintenance projects occur at night to minimize the impact on the community)
- Confusion over detours or lane restrictions caused by inadequate signage or poor safety design
- Speeding drivers
- Poor road conditions and uneven surfaces
- Inexperienced operation of construction equipment
Performing road construction can be a dangerous job, as so much of a person’s safety depends on others. When drivers, property owners or other individuals fail to take their role in protecting workers seriously, they should be held accountable for damages. If you or someone you love has been injured, it is wise to speak with a knowledgeable personal injury attorney.