The parents of a man killed in a Manhattan crane accident last year will receive $1 million to end a wrongful death claim over the fatal construction accident. According to the New York Daily News, the insurance company representing the company that owned the crane agreed to settle the lawsuit. The company has not admitted wrongdoing in the settlement.
Their son, a 30-year-old New Jersey man, was working on the No. 7 subway extension project when he was killed in April 2012. He was working below the crane when the crane operator swung a giant boom that was supposed to lift rebar. The wire-rope on the 160-foot boom snapped as the operator swung it into place. The construction worker was killed and four others injured in the crane accident.
Afterward, an investigation by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) found that the contractor had not properly inspected the crane. It issued 10 violations and $68,000 in fines, which the company is contesting. The company says that there were adequate inspections.
The construction worker’s mother says the $1 million settlement will not compensate her for her losses, because the firm is still operating and her son is gone.
As the mother points out, no amount of money can compensate for the loss of a loved one in a construction accident. Money damages can, however, help families recover for expenses as a result of the accident and reduce the significant financial pressures that families may face after a fatal accident.
Source: New York Daily News, “EXCLUSIVE: Parents of construction worker killed in crane accident given $1 million settlement,” Greg B. Smith, Aug. 20, 2013