You Are Here:
D. Carl Lustig, III is a member of the Manhattan law firm of Arye, Lustig & Sassower, P.C., and handles trials and appeals of major personal injury cases on behalf of plaintiffs. His primary area of concentration is construction accident litigation under the New York State Labor Law.
Mr. Lustig is past President of the New York City Trial Lawyers Alliance as well as past Chairman of the NYCTLA's Board of Governors. He is also an emeritus member of the Board of Directors of the New York State Trial Lawyers Association.
Having written law review articles that have appeared in the New York State Trial Lawyers Institute publication, The Trial Lawyers Quarterly, and other legal periodicals, Mr. Lustig has also authored the chapter on Plaintiff's Opening Statements in the New York State Bar Association's textbook, Medical Malpractice In New York (3rd ed.)
A frequently requested speaker, Mr. Lustig has lectured extensively for various entities including the New York State Trial Lawyers Institute, The Practicing Law Institute, the New York State Bar Association and Yale University, and has served as co-chairperson of a number of lecture series for continuing legal education in the area of personal injury trial practice. Additionally, he has lectured for the National Institute of Trial Advocacy program at Hofstra University School of Law on Trial Techniques, and at St. John's University School of Law on the topic of Alternative Dispute Resolution/Mediation. Mr. Lustig also has been an invited speaker at the New York State Judicial Conference and has lectured for the New York City Bar Association in their continuing legal education seminar on trials of civil cases.
Elected to membership in the American Board of Trial Advocates, Mr. Lustig is also a member of The American Association for Justice, the New York County Lawyers Association, the Million Dollar Advocates Forum and is a Fellow in the Roscoe Pound Institute. He is also a member of the Tort Advisory Committee and the Medical Malpractice Advisory Committee for Supreme Court, New York County.
Mr. Lustig was honored as Lawyer of the Year by the Institute of Jewish Humanities. He has been named as one of the Top 100 Trial Lawyers in New York State by the National Trial Lawyers Association and to the Top 1% of Attorneys in the United States by the National Association of Distinguished Counsel. He is also the recipient of the Lifetime Achievement Award as one of America's Top 100 Attorneys and has been regularly named to the New York Super Lawyers list. Mr. Lustig is rated AV (top rating) by Martindale-Hubbell.
Mr. Lustig has also established the D. Carl Lustig III Endowed Scholarship at Hofstra University School of Law (now the Maurice A. Deane School of Law).
Areas Of Practice
- Construction Accident Litigation
- Personal Injury
- Medical Malpractice
- Products Liability
- Bicycle Accidents
- New York, 1979
- U.S. District Court Southern District of New York, 1979
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of New York, 1979
- U.S. Court of Appeals 2nd Circuit, 1986
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1993
- Hofstra University School of Law, Hempstead, New York
- J.D. - 1978
- Syracuse University, Syracuse, New York
- B.S. - 1975
- Honors: magna cum laude
- Medical Malpractice in New York, 4th Edition, Chapter 9: Opening Statements: Plaintiff’s Perspective, NYS Bar Assn., 2017
- Cronin v New York City Transit Auth., 143 A.D.3d 419 (2016)
- Callan Structure Tone, Inc., 52 A.D. 3d. 334 (1st Dept 2008)
- Urbina v. 26 Court Street Assocs., LLC., 46 A.D. 3d 268 (1st Dept 2007)
- Brandl v. Ram Builders, Inc., 7 A.D.3d 6 (2nd Dept. 2004)
- Arce v. 1133 Bldg. Corp., 257 A.D.2d 515 (1st Dept 1999)
- Yu Xiu Deng v. A.J. Contracting Co., Inc., 255 A.D.2d 202 (1st Dept 1998)
- Guillory v. Nautilus Real Estate, Inc., 208 A.D.2d 336 (1st Dept 1995)
- Costello by Hines v. Marchese, 524 N.Y.S.2d 232 (N.Y.A.D. 2 Dept 1988)
- Smith v. Spinoccia, 501 N.Y.S.2d 99 (N.Y.A.D. 2 Dept 1986)
- Served as a Judge in the American Associate of Justice Metro New York law school Trial Advocacy Competition , 03/13/2016
- National Institute for Trial Advocacy - continuing legal education program on Trial Skills for practicing lawyers. Teacher of Cross-examination, Opening Statement and Summation, 2018
Honors and Awards
- Lifetime Achievement Award as one of America's Top 100 Attorneys
- The National Trial Lawyers Association Top 100 Trial Lawyers in New York State
- Selected by peers to be included in the The Best Lawyers in America - Personal Injury Litigation and Product Liability Litigation
- Named in The National Association of Distinguished Counsel (Nation’s Top 1% of Attorneys)
- Super Lawyers
Professional Associations and Memberships
- New York County Lawyers Association, 1979 to Present
- New York State Trial Lawyers Association, 1981 to Present
- American Association for Justice, 1983 to Present
- New York City Trial Lawyers Association, President of New York City Trial Lawyers Association, 2017-2018, 2004 to Present
- Roscoe Pound Institute – Fellow, 2001 to Present
- American Board of Trial Advocates, 1999 to Present
- New York State Bar Association
- American Bar Association
Since 1965, we’ve recovered over $1 BILLION
on behalf of our clients. read more
for 33-year old electrician who fell from ladder while attempting to fit heavy cable into crown box when cable sprung back and struck him, causing him to suffer left shoulder injury with impingement.
for 38-year old electrician who slipped and fell on debris on stairway with resulting cervical herniated disc and aggravation of pre-existing arthritic changes.
for 42-year old electrician who fell into an uncovered, unprotected hole and suffered a severe low back injury with herniated disc(s) that required surgery at L4-5 and L5-S1 levels.
for 26-year old construction worker who fell through opening in roof and fractured his wrist, requiring surgery with open reduction and internal fixation, external fixation device, and eventual fusion.
for 38-year old female electrician (with history of prior neck injury) who tripped on uneven Masonite protective floor covering, and suffered neck injury with herniated discs requiring cervical fusion.
during trial for 40-year old sheet metal worker who was struck in the neck and shoulder by an air conditioning unit and suffered herniated cervical discs and cervical radiculopathy.