How To Report Unsafe Working Conditions

Often, an accident comes as no surprise to others on a construction site. Workers on a construction site may see lapses in safety precautions long before a construction accident happens. By reporting unsafe working conditions, workers and others may be able to make construction sites safer and prevent serious and potentially fatal accidents.

At Arye, Lustig & Sassower, P.C., our lawyers focus on representing workers in personal injury claims after they have been seriously injured in construction accidents.

During our decades of service to injured workers, we have often seen accidents that could have been prevented. We urge workers to report unsafe conditions.

How To Make A Report

Workers have the right to a safe job environment. If you see unsafe activity at a construction site, you can report it. Your supervisor, job steward or someone responsible for safety on a job site should be the first person to whom you report the unsafe condition.

Unfortunately, supervisors and safety personnel do not always take action necessary to keep a workplace safe. If your workplace is unsafe despite your reports, you may also report hazardous working conditions to local, state or federal government agencies.


At the federal level, the Occupational Safety and Health Administration investigates job site accidents and complaints of unsafe work environments. In New York, you may call 800-321-OSHA. You may also contact the regional office at:

Region 2 Office
201 Varick Street, Room 670
New York, New York 10014

The Manhattan area office is located at:

Manhattan Area Office
201 Varick Street, Room 908
New York, NY 10014

OSHA also maintains an office in Queens at:

Queens District Office
45-17 Marathon Parkway
Little Neck, NY 11362

You may file a complaint online, by downloading a form and faxing or mailing it, or by calling OSHA, which will respond with an investigation. Employees may report safety issues anonymously.

State And Local Safety Agencies

In addition to OSHA, state and local safety agencies accept reports of unsafe construction sites. In New York City, you may report unsafe construction work by calling 311 or visiting 311 online.

Contact Arye, Lustig & Sassower, P.C. For Help Today

If you are injured in a construction accident, contact our attorneys to learn how we can help you. Call us locally at 212.732.4992, call us toll free at 800.340.4992 or contact us online. Your first consultation is free of charge, and we will owe no attorney's fees unless we are successful in your case.

Case Results

Since 1965, we’ve recovered over $1 BILLION on behalf of our clients. read more
  • $2.1 million settlement

    for 33-year old electrician who fell from ladder while attempting to fit heavy cable into crown box when cable sprung back and struck him, causing him to suffer left shoulder injury with impingement.

  • $1.6 million settlement

    for 38-year old electrician who slipped and fell on debris on stairway with resulting cervical herniated disc and aggravation of pre-existing arthritic changes.

  • $2.55 million settlement

    for 42-year old electrician who fell into an uncovered, unprotected hole and suffered a severe low back injury with herniated disc(s) that required surgery at L4-5 and L5-S1 levels.

  • $1.75 million settlement

    for 26-year old construction worker who fell through opening in roof and fractured his wrist, requiring surgery with open reduction and internal fixation, external fixation device, and eventual fusion.

  • $2.5 million settlement

    for 38-year old female electrician (with history of prior neck injury) who tripped on uneven Masonite protective floor covering, and suffered neck injury with herniated discs requiring cervical fusion.

  • $1.2 million settlement

    during trial for 40-year old sheet metal worker who was struck in the neck and shoulder by an air conditioning unit and suffered herniated cervical discs and cervical radiculopathy.